Thursday, August 30, 2012

Best web shows out there...

Over the years I've found myself watching television less and less.  That's not to say I've stopped watching TV shows, I just tend to buy the DVD box sets these days.  There's nothing quite like watching an entire season of your favourite show in one sitting.  I'm pretty sure that's why we have weekends.

But without the channel surfing I used to do, losing the odd half hour here and there to some stupid show I didn't really want to watch in the first place, I find myself with a lot more time available for other forms of entertainment.  My chosen form?  Vlogs and web series!

Youtube, my friends, is a beautiful thing.

There is so much good content to be found, if you know where to look for it.  With the channels I subscribe to on Youtube I literally have well over an hour's worth of viewing waiting for me each evening when I get home.  Sure, some of it's amateurish.  It can be badly acted, or the filming can be pretty crappy, but the thing that makes up for that is the fact that these are real people, putting out their creations as they wanted it to be seen.  No one else rewriting it, no one censoring what they're trying to tell us.

And for every less than perfect production there's one that is just amazing.  The quality of some of these is just mind blowing, especially when you take into consideration a lot of them are filming on their own, no assistance, with just a few video editing programs to help them.

Call me a crazy, but I think that it's important to support the people that feel the urge to create for creation sake.  So I'm going to provide you with a list of my favourite vlogs and web series!  Go watch a few ... or better yet, have a hunt around and find some that appeal to you.  We've got so many different forms of entertainment these days, it seems stupid just to limit ourselves to the boob tube.

1.  The Guild:  This web series is one of my favourites!  For anyone who is into gaming, or who knows someone into gaming, you'll be able to relate.  It's the story of a guild of gamers, each of them socially inept in their own way, and how their friendships grow through their game.  It's hilarious, and so well done!  They've done five seasons so far so there's plenty to watch.



2.  Ghost Watching:  If you're a fan of the macabre, you'll love this channel on Youtube.  This one has lots and lots of documentaries about haunted places.  Castles, churches, cemeteries, all the good stuff we phasmophiles love.  You've no idea the number of hours I've whiled away watching their clips.




3.  You Deserve A Drink:  If you like your social commentary with a splash of vodka, then this will definitely appeal to you.  Mamrie gives her opinions on pretty much anything she can come up with, while mixing appropriately themed cocktails.



4.  Crash Course:  If you're a nerd like me and you like to learn about things, this channel will be right up your alley.  Concise, ten to fifteen minute videos on different topics, anything from the the Agricultural Revolution to an explanation of the theory of evolution.  All the things you were supposed to learn in school, but presented in a concise, easy to follow way that makes you actually want to know about them!



5.  Husbands:  This one is hilarious!  It's a web series about an actor and his base baller boyfriend who get married in Vegas after a drunken night celebrating the legalisation of gay marriage in Nevada, and then decide to try and make a go of it.  They've just started their second season.



So, do any of you have any recommendations?  Don't be shy, share them with the class.

27 comments:

  1. HA! Those are great!! It's like reality T.V. with a twist, and I happen to be a reality tv addict. I can't even handle silly sitcoms anymore. If I'm going to waste my time watching t.v. than it has to be real...right??? DVR helps also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I have theories about reality television and the destruction of mankind as we know it ... but I can see why people like it :D

      Delete
  2. I love The Guild! I saw her on The Nerdist and immediately adored her. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's such an inspiring story, how she couldn't seem to find projects she wanted to do, so she made her own. The ultimate success story about artistic integrity winning out over big business.

      Delete
  3. These are great! I never knew there was such a selection. You Deserve a Drink is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there's heaps out there, that's just a small selection from my subscriptions!

      Delete
  4. Okay so the only one on here that I knew about was The Guild. Do you also watch the Flog? So adorable! Thanks for introducing me to some new shows! I love Crash Course and can see many, many, many days wast- spent in productive research on new topics! And Husbands? Funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How have I never seen The Flog before!!! I just watched the one with Felicia swing dancing with KevJumba, it's so funny!

      Delete
  5. I love The Guild! My husband and I watched it together after we learned of its existence. I've never seen Crash Course, but I'll definitely be checking that out later today! You Deserve a Drink looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Crash Course, it explains things in a way that I wish they had in High School.

      Delete
  6. I had no idea any of these shows existed! Off to check out subscribing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are a fan of The Bachelor franchise, Burning Love is hilarious. It is a Ben Stiller creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to find it but I kept getting videos that couldn't play in my region :(. I guess I'll have to keep hunting.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I'm going to have to check out Ghost Watching!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know you're a ghost lover too, you're going to adore Ghost Watching! The documentaries are great, and there are just so many of them!

      Delete
  9. This is a great list! I'm going to check out these this weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I'll be checking out Ghost Watching. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the hell out of that channel. Honestly, there's hours of fun in there.

      Delete
  11. I might have to start watching Husbands!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's great! I've been watching it since they started and it's wonderful they're doing a second season. They raised the money for it on Kickstarter.

      Delete
  12. That crash course is a good-en

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! The Vlog Brothers are always good, whatever they're doing.

      Delete
  13. You're going to think I am strange, which is okay because most people already think that, but I've never heard of a web series. I am definitely checking out Ghost Watching. There's nothing that makes me happier than ghosts and cemeteries.

    ReplyDelete