Monday, November 5, 2012

I've heard of the power of the mind, but this is ridiculous...

I like to think I'm a tad more well informed about different religions and beliefs than the average bear, but I have to admit that I don't really know that much about Voodoo.  Beyond what I saw in the Kate Hudson movie Skeleton Key, my knowledge pretty much begins and ends with the word "witchdoctor".  Somehow, I think none of that really gives me a suitable knowledge base to be making judgements.

But when has that ever stopped me.  

I definitely believe in the power of the mind.  Hell, my religion makes it practically compulsory to do so!  But even so, I like to think I temper that with a little thing I like to call common sense.  Do I believe that universal forces can be affected by intense thought and meditation?  Yes.  Do I think that one person, thinking really, really hard, can create a strong immediate and physical reaction in someone?  Ah, no.  No I don't.  If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it and we'd have all killed each other off years ago.

But I'm sure you're wondering where I'm going with this seemingly nonsensical rant.  I guess the question of the day is if you rape someone in your imagination, is it really rape?

According to this news article, a man was arrested in Zimbabwe for having non-consensual Voodoo mind sex with a woman at a bus stop.  Apparently someone got a wee bit suspicious when he started sweating, looking a little "excited", and staring at the woman like a big creepy creeper.  The conclusion drawn?  He was practising Mubobobo, a type of Voodoo that let him have sex with the woman using only the power of his mind.

Uh ... yeah, we have something like that too.  It's called fantasising.

Of course, I'm not trying to downplay the ick factor of this guy getting all hot and bothered in public thanks to some poor unsuspecting woman.  There's no doubt it's disturbing, and depending upon what he was actually doing and the laws in the area possibly illegal, but I really can't see the justification for calling it rape.

Jeez, if everyone who had imaginary mind sex with someone without their consent was arrested, there'd be no one left to run the place!  I know I would be, thanks to several very good looking TV and movie stars and, in recent memory, a rather dishy guy who was painting the side of a house wearing only a pair of overalls ... sorry, my blue collar kink is showing, isn't it.  But the point is everyone does it, and anyone who tells you that they don't is a god damned liar whose pants are definitely smouldering!

For those who haven't yet, just another reminder to go enter if you want to win the set of "Don'ts for..." books I'm giving away!  

27 comments:

  1. Not to jump out on a slippery slope or anything but that news story smacks of Big Brother and Thought Police. I'm of the opinion that while we can direct where our thoughts and fantasies take us, we can't control when they pop into our heads! Actions and thought are way different - if they weren't jeesh could you imagine how horrific the world would actually be?

    Oh and as for that blue collar painter...those are some of the sexiest ones around. Me? I like mechanics. Interestingly enough my husband dabbles in car repair. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even Jimmy Carter "sinned in his heart." At least I think it was him who uttered that ridiculous puritanical phrase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do like to throw the word sin around, don't they. I prefer to keep it for really serious stuff, like murder or watching reality tv.

      Delete
  3. I definitely see what you're saying. It's gross and disgusting but if he didn't rape her then he just didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of those "cultural differences" that isn't going to be solved easily.

      Delete
  4. I would long ago be a rotting corpse in prison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we could do things by just thinking, I definitely would be in prison for assault. My mind would have smacked quite a few heads on tables while the rest of me just dealt with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, if we could do things like that with the power of our minds, I doubt anyone would survive my vengeful wrath!

      Delete
  6. I totally agree with HEATHERL about Big Brother & Thought Police--this post is SCARY! I wonder if they would go so far as to arrest someone who "rapes" a hottie they're watching in a movie?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww man, there goes my exotic stripper name. If I can't exotically dance as "Mubobobo" how am I supposed to get tips!?! Yet another example of "The Man" trying to keep us down with propaganda!
    Also, I am on record as not willing to press charges on anyone who wants to "thought-violate" me. You're all free to defile me in your mind's eye providing you keep the gross moans to yourself. Call me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the things my mind could indict me on...

    I'd be running the prison by now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...don't even know what to say....
    On another note, I heart your blog! I'm a new GFC follower :)
    xo
    www.domesticsweetheart.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mind rape, huh? Does it count if it's with Johnny Depp? Because if it does, I should have been arrested a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So will you be having the babies, or will I?

      (I just realised how creepy that sounds unless you've read the title for the GFC. If you haven't, go read it! I don't like being creepy!)

      Delete
  11. wow...how ridiculous! you have the funniest blog ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, I'm glad you like them. Usually when I say things like this to people face to face, I get that look that says they're trying to work out how quickly they can get to an exit. It's nice to be here where everyone seems to think I'm clever instead of a tad insane.

      Delete
  12. Now this post is Delightfully Ludicrous! I, too, would be locked up for such a crime - I guess the "beauty" of that crime would be you would just stay in jail forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is, it's the sort of crime you can just keep committing, even from your jail cell!

      Delete
  13. Ahhhh Voodoo...my ex hubby, being West African, was a big believer in it. He feared it while being in Benin (his home country) but stopped doing so when in Europe living with me. His explanation was that "Voodoo can´t travel waters". Now, that was around the time I stopped taking him seriously.

    What surprises me is that while the woman didn´t realize what was happening a bystander had to point it out. Does that mean that the "abused" women voluntarily participated? In that case both should be arrested for public misbehavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the "abused" woman should be arrested, purely for saying she felt something funny in her private bits AFTER they told her what they thought he was doing.

      Delete