Sunday, December 9, 2012

I don't know art, but I know what I like...

Have you ever wondered just where artists get their ideas for their pictures from?



I'm not an artist, I can't even draw a straight line without the help of a ruler, so I've never really thought about it before.


Do they just come up with stuff off the top of their head?  Do they copy from pictures?  How much artistic licence to they use?


But when I stumbled across these pictures, it made me realise the difference between someone making a copy of something, and someone taking something and making it their own.


I just love the details, looking at the pictures and seeing what the artist decided to keep, what they chose to alter, and what they made completely different.


I guess that's what they mean by art.



Needless to say, these pictures have made me realise a few things.  

  • I'll never be an artist.  I have no idea how they can take a bunch of lines and make it look like a person.
  • I absolutely love the art of this era!  
  • Women in the 50's must have been awfully chilly.  They never seem to be wearing enough clothes!

31 comments:

  1. I love the art of this era too... I also don't like wearing pants...

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's Victoria's Secret had nothing on the 50's, did they? I would have fit in back then very nicely. I've always felt clothes were SOOOO over rated. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly knew how to do sultry better back then than we do now.

      Delete
  3. Maybe the lack of clothing IS Victoria's Secret!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you like a slightly risque version of Norman Rockwell. I can get behind that. It's pretty cool to see the model with the finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this era too.. Women just looked so much more like, well, women.. Curves n' tatas, not sticks.. My sister can draw like this.. Me, not so much. Cartoons.. Cartoons I can do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can't even do a cartoon! I'm strictly a stick figure kind of gal.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You and me both, but that's about the extent of my artistic abilities.

      Delete
  7. This is really fascinating. I love that last one. I mean there is a plug in the background with a cord and somehow that is transformed into a lake side skinny dip. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rather liked these also.The artistic value overwhelms the touch of voyeurism. Really kinda neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the style, always have. I have a huge collection of books from the 40's and 50's purely for the dust jacket artwork.

      Delete
  9. These are really neat - I've never seen them before. Thanks for sharing!

    I'm suddenly feeling the need to lose this wool sweater...so HOT in here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget to take it off while looking innocently over your shoulder and pouting a little.

      Delete
  10. Those are brilliant! I love the whole pin up art scene, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They still knocked off a few inches though. The paintings are still (thankfully) curvy, but they are slimmer curves! Loved this post, was really interesting seeing the two side by side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it just shows that no matter what the fashion, reality is never as appealing as fantasy.

      Delete
  12. I absolutely love these photographs. Would love to have them as part of the decor in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're gorgeous aren't they! There's just something classy about the era, even the cheesecake pictures.

      Delete
  13. They're gorgeous, aren't they! I love seeing the differences and the similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As an artist I can say that my inspiration comes from my experiences, things I see, things that take my fancy, people I know, music I listen to and so on.

    And you could be an artist if you wanted. No one ever picked up a paint brush or a pencil and automatically produced a perfect piece of work. Just like any talent or skill - it takes practice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I thrilled when I stumbled upon these originals photos of his classic prints. I love seeing the inspiration for his beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love pinup pictures... mostly because I like to think I live my life trying to look like one. Art intimating life at its best.

    ReplyDelete